While accepting the Video Vanguard Award during Sunday’s MTV Video Music Awards, Kanye Westsaid he felt “conflicted” about interrupting Taylor Swift at the 2009 VMAs.
“I think, ‘If I had to do it all again, what would I have done?'” mused West, while accepting the annual VMA for overall excellence in music videos.
Later in his speech, he came to this conclusion: “I just wanted people to like me more. But [forget] that, bro! [In] 2015, I will die for the art, for what I believe in. And the art ain’t always gonna be polite.”
Seated next to wife Kim Kardashian West, the rapper grinned during Swift’s tribute and thanked her for being “gracious,” then adopted a more serious tone. He cited some of the turmoil he’s experienced over the past six years, including being booed by tens of thousands of fans at a sporting event.
“You know how many times MTV ran that footage again, ’cause it got them more ratings?” West asked.
“You know how many times they said Taylor was going to give me the [Vanguard] award, because it got them more ratings? I still don’t understand award shows.”
He lightened the mood from time to time, admitting to the crowd how he’d “smoked something” before his speech to knock “the edge off,” and encouraged artists to express what they feel in the moment.
At the end of his speech, West spoke of even loftier aspirations. “As you probably could have guessed by this moment, I have decided, in 2020, to run for president,” said West, who then dropped his mic.
Read the rest of this Today.com article by clicking here.
ForeverCeleb Commentary: According to the above article from Today.com, Kanye West introduced some big plans in his VMA’s award speech on Sunday night. If you’re a huge Kanye fan, then you are going to have to make yourself sit on your hands for the next 5 years until he runs. But if you’re like the rest of us, you probably think he’s bluffing. All I know is that anything is possible, and that might not always be a good thing.
- Pamela Anderson No Longer Has Hepatitis C - November 9, 2015
- People are Furious about the Kardashian’s “First Family” Cosmo Cover - October 5, 2015
- Kanye West Says He’ll Run for President in 2020 in VMA’s Speech - August 31, 2015
- Kylie Jenner Receives Ferrari from Boyfriend Tyga for 18th Bday - August 10, 2015
- Comedian Michelle Collins Joins “The View” - July 13, 2015
- Torrey Smith’s Baby Breaks the Internet with Dance Moves - July 13, 2015
- Owner of Sugar Hill Records Dies at 53 - July 13, 2015
- Giuliana Rancic Resigns as News Anchor - July 9, 2015
- First Photo of Tiffani Thiessen’s Baby Boy - July 3, 2015
- Ruby Rose Meets Her Long Lost Twin, Justin Bieber - June 23, 2015