Hunger Games actress Amandla Stenberg, 16, took to Twitter on Sunday evening, July 12, to wax philosophical on cultural appropriation and gender double standards, just one day after she made headlines for her Instagram feud with Kylie Jenner.
Stenberg, who previously discussed the matter in her “Don’t Cash Crop My Cornrows” video, first made her voice heard by commenting on a photo that Jenner, 17, posted of herself sporting cornrows.
She wrote, “When u appropriate black features and culture but fail to use ur position of power to help black Americans by directing attention towards ur wigs instead of police brutality or racism #whitegirlsdoitbetter.”After Jenner brushed off her comments, suggesting that she go hang out with Jaden Smith instead, Stenberg penned a longer cultural criticism, tweeting the block of text in the late hours of Sunday evening and adding, “words by me.””Black features are beautiful,” Stenberg begins in the note.
“Black women are not. White women are paragons of virtue and desire. Black women are objects of fetishism and brutality. This, at least, seems to be the mentality surrounding black femininity and beauty in a society built upon eurocentric beauty standards.”
ForeverCeleb Commentary: According to the above article from US Weekly, actress Amandla Stenberg was not happy with an Instagram post of Kylie Jenner’s over the weekend. One has to wonder if the feud stems from both girls dating Jaden Smith at some point.
- Mariah Carey Spends Halloween with Kids, Ex-Husband and New Boyfriend - November 2, 2015
- Aerosmith Threatens Trump for Using “Dream On” at Events - October 12, 2015
- Jersey Shore’s JWoww is Married and Expecting Second Baby - October 4, 2015
- Mattel Creates Limited Edition Zendaya Barbie Doll - September 28, 2015
- Gwen Stefani to Collaborate with Urban Decay in new Makeup Line - September 21, 2015
- Kelly Osbourne Would Consider Return to Show If “Certain People Weren’t There” - August 24, 2015
- Taylor Swift’s Wins Stand Off with Apple - August 22, 2015
- Taylor Swift Dedicates ‘Never Grow Up’ to Her New Godson - August 17, 2015
- Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith Divorce After 17 Years - August 3, 2015
- Zayn Malik Calls DJ a ‘Fat Joke’ on Twitter - July 13, 2015